Friday, May 1, 2015

Twin reading magic: Outlander, Redshirts and Tortilla Curtain

I have a twin who often spontaneously reads the same books as I. It is even freakier when we are reading them simultaneously.   The first time this happened we found out we were both reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.  This was at least 10 years ago long, long before the Startz TV series. Interestingly enough both of my daughters have gone on to read the series too now that they are adults.
The most recent case of this coincidental (or possibly magic) reading synchronicity
is Redshirts by John Scalzi which I highly recommend. It is a fun, playful and creative look at the boundaries of fiction and reality. Anyone who has seen the original Star Trek tv series should also get the reference. 
 I also recently read Tortilla Curtain by Boyle, T. Cor­aghes­san. I was talking to my twin and voila, she had read it a while back. This is a much more uncomfortable book but worth the time if you are interested in exploring the views of wealthy white people and illegal immigrants in the western part of the country. No spoilers here but I was hoping for a happier ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment