Thursday, June 25, 2015

A Book about Monarch Butterflies by a Favorite Author

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver is not a new book.  I am not sure how I missed it when it was originally published but  I just read it over my vacation. 
Similar in setting to Prodigal Summer, the story concerns the choices we make and encourages us to think about the future. A change in Monarch Butterfly migration is both the event that drives the plot, creating conflict and suspense and a magical element that helps to bring a spiritual tone to the book.
Ultimately Kingsolver's theme is one of environmental concern which is not surprising if you have read any of her other books. However, I found this one to be well balanced with a story of the transformation of the main character, Dellarobia. Initially portrayed as an unhappy wife and mother, she becomes the voice of reason.
I am very happy to have read this book and hope you enjoy it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment